Insider Tips & FAQ's
Below you'll find the answers to the most commonly asked questions regarding ski and snowboard rentals. If you have a question that isn't answered here, please do not hesitate to call us at 802.253.3000 and we will get you all the information you need to make sure your rental experience is a pleasant one.
Why choose Stowe Mountain Resort for my equipment needs?
Convenience – Each of our three on-mountain locations are there to take care of your needs where you need us to be. Should you have an issue with your equipment during your stay, our staff will be here to fix, adjust, or exchange your equipment to ensure that you spend your time where you want to be – ON THE MOUNTAIN!
Easy pick up and drop off relieves hassles of hauling equipment to the resort.
Free overnight ski and snowboard storage for multi-day stays.
Knowledgeable, friendly staff ready to match your ability to the right equipment.
How long will it take to get equipment?
It depends on the level of business at the time you are renting. We strive to get you through our process in 15 minutes or less. This time can be affected by business levels at the time you arrive to get fitted. Please give yourself extra time to get organized before your lesson times. We recommend arriving 1 hour before you plan to ski or ride to get everything organized.
How do I speed up the rental/demo process?
- Purchase the All Access Pass online.
- Know date of birth, foot sizes, weights, heights and skier abilities for each person renting before arriving/reserving.
- Arrive at least 1 hour before you plan to hit the slopes.
- If you're taking a lesson arrive at the rental center by 8:30am.
- Rent the afternoon before for no extra charge. You can rent no earlier than 2:30pm for the next day’s rentals/demos.
- Reserve rentals at least 48 hours in advance.
- Plan ahead. You will need to know how many days you plan to use equipment. Check weather forecasts and consider other reasons before purchasing multi-day rentals/demos.
What if I cannot decide how many days I will be renting?
Multi-day discounts are only available when 2 or more consecutive days are paid for up front. There are no multi-day discounts during posted holiday periods.
What happens if I return my equipment early?
There are no refunds on rental/demo equipment.
Do you rent winter clothing?
We do not rent clothing items. Our full-service retail shops have everything you need for a comfortable day on the slopes. Please visit them for the latest in winter clothing options.
Do you offer a lift ticket rental/demo package?
The tickets and rental/demo pricing are not offered as a package. Lessons need to be organized at our Ski & Snowboard School desk.
When will I pay for my rentals/demos?
Payment for your equipment is due on the first day of your rental.
What do I do with my skis/snowboards at the end of the day, if I am skiing the next day?
For your convenience all on-mountain rental/demo centers provide a complimentary ski check for all of our rental/demo guests. Equipment not owned by us can be stored for a nominal fee. Space can be limited and is operated on a first-come first-serve basis. Guests of the Stowe Mountain Lodge can use the Ski Valet service.
Can I exchange my ski rental/demo for a snowboard rental/demo?
Yes you may exchange your skis for a snowboard or your snowboard for skis for a small service fee.
Do you rent helmets?
Yes, all of our rental/demo centers have helmets available to rent.
Are helmets required?
Stowe Mountain Resort recommends but does not require the use of a helmet while skiing or riding. Stowe Mountain Resort encourages our guests to educate themselves about the benefits of wearing helmets while skiing and riding. To obtain information regarding this subject, please visit the National Ski Area Association web site at www.nsaa.org.
Where can I rent snowboards?
Snowboard equipment is available at the Spruce Rental and Demo Center located in the new Spruce Camp Base Lodge and at the Stowe Toys Demo Center located at the base of the Four Runner Quad. There are no snowboard rentals available at the Mansfield Rental Center.
I am a beginner, do I need shaped skis?
Shaped skis are for everyone regardless of ability. Because of the shape of the skis, the skis turn with less effort and make your day more fun!
Kid’s equipment rentals......
Kid’s rental packages are for children 12 and under. Kid’s rentals come in various lengths and sizes to accommodate the smallest skiers. Packages include skis, boots, and poles. Adult signatures and credit card deposits are required for any renter under the age of 18.·
I have my own skis. Can I rent just boots?
We do not offer ski boot only rentals. Boot only rentals require that we re-adjust and complete a system inspection and function test to ensure that our boots and your ski bindings are compatible and functioning as the manufacturer intended. This process is time consuming and can be expensive. We often find that the components are not compatible. If that is the case the renter would need to get back in the rental line and rent the package anyway. To eliminate frustrations for our customers we have decided not to offer boot only rentals.
How do I make ski or snowboard rental reservations?
You can reserve online
Can I pick up my rentals the day before I plan to ski?
You may rent equipment for the next day between 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Please keep in mind that a credit card deposit and adult signature is required when renting equipment
Where do I pick up the equipment that is right for me?
1. Reserved Equipment:
Spruce Rental and Demo Center
2. Regular Rental Ski packages:
Spruce Rental and Demo Center and Mansfield Rental Center
3. Snowboard Rental packages:
Spruce Rental and Demo Center
4. Demo Ski and Snowboard packages:
Stowe Toys Demo Center and the Spruce Rental & Demo Center
5. Beginner and kids equipment:
Spruce Rental and Demo Center
6. Telemark ski packages:
Stowe Toys Demo Center
7. Helmets and Goggles:
Helmets and goggles are available at any of our three rental and demo centers.
Why tune skis and/or snowboards?
The answer is simple – because you’ll have much more fun on the slopes.
It's easy to explain why:
Our professional edge grinding ensures uncompromising grip even in icy conditions. This saves energy and increases safety by requiring less energy to control your equipment. Having a freshly structured base ensures the perfect “turning moment" and smooth easy gliding in all snow conditions. Together they create a feeling on the slopes that you'll never want to be without again!
How often should I tune my skis or snowboard?
It depends on the snow conditions, the terrain, and your performance level as to how often you have your equipment tuned. Major base or edge damage should be repaired immediately.
WINTERSTEIGER recommends tuning:
- Prior to the first outing in winter
- About every 4 days out on the slopes
- At the end of the season
What are the basic steps in the tuning process?
1. INSPECTION - The top, base, and edges are wiped clean of any dirt, solvents, and excess wax. Then the skis / boards are inspected for any damage.
2. BASE REPAIR - Any nicks, gouges, or core shots are repaired and filled with new base material.
3. BASE GRINDING - The ski/board is then run across the stone grinder removing any minor damage and making the base flat and true. In doing so, tiny cuts are ground off the base. Now the base is able to absorb wax and the structures created are an important aid in gliding. This new structure also helps prevent suction and friction between base and snow. Your ski/board glides better and accomplishes the transition from edge to edge more easily. In addition, different temperatures and snow conditions require different structures. Ask our technicians for the right formula for the current conditions.
4. EDGE GRINDING – We offer the revolutionary WINTERSTEIGER Ceramic Disc Finish to reproduce your ski’s original, exact edge geometry for ultimate carving performance on the hill.
5. WAXING - The last step in tuning is hot waxing. Hot wax impregnates the base, protects against damage, and improves the gliding and turning properties of skis and boards.